Listen & Subscribe:
Episode Show Notes:
In this episode, you’ll be taken on a journey through the exceptional life of Arne Vainio, as he shares stories of growing up Finnish and Ojibwe, his journey to becoming a physician, and how sauna has shaped his life.
00:05:02:00 Arne’s origin story
00:15:18:12 Arne on his family history
00:39:50:23 Arne’s journey to become a physician
00:52:19:29 Why sauna?
01:03:01:19 Arne’s sweet, sweet wisdom
About Arne Vainio
Arne Vainio, M.D. was born to a Finnish father and an Ojibwe mother, one of seven children. When he was four years old, his father died by suicide and poverty for his family followed. He credits less than a double handful of people for changing his course and advises we are all that person for someone who might be lost.
- Bartender, auto body shop worker, lumberjack, sawmill worker, farmhand in high school through early twenties.
- Heavy equipment operator age 18-27. Superintendent for a construction company working in multiple states.
- Professional firefighter/Paramedic 1985-1988, Virginia, Minnesota.
- University of Minnesota, Duluth Medical School 1990-1994.
- Seattle Indian Health Board//Providence Hospital family practice residency 1994-1997.
- Family Practice physician on the Fond du Lac reservation 1997-present.
- IHS National Directors Award 2008-2009.
- National Diabetes Physicians Recognition Award 2010.
- Early Distinguished Career Alumni Award, Minnesota Medical Foundation, 2008.
- KBJR Making a Difference Award 2013.
- Virginia McKnight Binger Unsung Hero Award 2016
- Finalist for Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians Physician of the Year 2017
- Association of American Indian Physicians Physician of the Year 2017
- Columnist for News From Indian Country 2007 through 2019.
- Featured in the 2009 Emmy nominated American Indian Health documentary film “Walking into the Unknown”
- Featured on We Are Healers, video segments aimed at getting Native American students into health professions
- Columnist for Indianz.com 2016-2021.
- Health Matters segment on Native Report on Public Television since early 2016
- In the Spirit of Medicine Radio program since April, 2018- November, 2021.
- Member at Large on the Board of Directors for the Association of American Indian Physicians 2019-2020.
- Board of Directors WDSE Public Television in Duluth, Minnesota 2012-present.
- Dr. Arne Vainio Named Bemidji State’s 2022 Distinguished Minnesotan